Sunday, April 11, 2010

Zac and the pacifier


He doesn't like pacifier since he was born. I kept on putting it in his mouth every time but he spits it out. I kept on doing it once in a while but I totally gave up after 2 months he was born.

The other day, when he was fuzzy and I can't understand on what he wants, I gave him pacifier and he sucked it for 2 minutes. I was shocked. I didn't expect that he will do that. After he spit it out, I shove it back to his mouth and sucking it made him fall asleep. I did it again last night and it worked! He fell asleep while sucking it.

What made me realize to pursue giving him pacifier is because I noticed that he keeps on sucking his fists. I know that thumb sucking is just normal to babies but I am afraid that he might suck germs from his hands. I kept on wiping his hands though to make sure that they are clean. One time I did everything and he was still crying. What made him stop crying is the pacifier and it made him fall asleep again! What I am glad about is that he don't wake up and cry when his pacifier falls out of his mouth while sleeping. He has lots of pacifiers from the baby shower but the pacifier that I am giving him is the NUK brand which has a good nipple shape.

I know that babies are the happiest when they are sucking on something so I always make sure that his pacifier is always clean before I give it to him. I don't give pacifier to replace bottle feeding. I really think that that is totally wrong. If he cries and he don't want milk and I notice that he is fist sucking or he is grabbing something and putting it to his mouth then that is the only time I give his pacifier. I don't want him to be pacifier dependent so I don't give it to him all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment