Sunday, May 16, 2010

Zac's buddy

My Pinay friend who lives few blocks away from our house called and told me that her 9 month old son has low iron level. She was worried because his son is already taking iron supplement and when his iron was checked, it was only 5 point something. She told me that a 9 month old baby's iron level should be at least 11-12. I was scared for his son too because he needs to be seen by a doctor in Riley's Hospital. It is a well-known children hospital here and the kids that are being sent there are mostly in bad shape.

So I came to research about baby's with low iron level. According to my research online, breastfed babies has a tendency to have low iron because breastmilk does not contain enough iron. Premature babies has tendency to have low iron too because iron stores build in the last few months of pregnancy. Infants whose mother were of poor nutritional status during pregnancy or who have diabetes are prone of having low iron level.

Where can babies get iron? There are variety of food where babies can get iron. Some of these foods are: iron-filled formula milk, iron-fortified cereals, meat, sweet potatoes, prune juice, winter squash and broccoli.

I don't like seeing ANY babies who are suffering from any illness. I know God will help her baby and will always be there. I am praying for him. Jeez! Why is it I feel like I am so worried and concerned for him?

No comments:

Post a Comment